Company: New Digital Research Infrastructure Organization
Position Title: Research Funding Lead
Location: Remote, anywhere in Canada
Type: Contract (12-months)
Salary Range: Interested candidates are asked to supply a statement that details salary expectations for the role.
Reporting to the Director of Procurement and Grant Management, the Research Funding Lead supports researchers in the development and submission of funding applications for a variety of funding opportunities including individual operating funds, large strategic team funding opportunities, and major infrastructure funding opportunities. The Research Funding Lead will provide researchers with targeted suggestions for funding, and act as a catalyst coordinating and facilitating strategic merit-review committee meetings.
This position supports functional areas in research administration including, but not limited to: funding information; regulatory compliance; proposal preparation and processing; award negotiation and acceptance; monitoring of expenditures; accrual reports; post-award administration; project accounting and cash management; cost analysis and compliance.
The Research Funding Lead will:
- Maintain expert knowledge and understanding of research funding agency programs, policies and submissions process;
- Manages multiple external funding deadlines;
- Advise on, and assist with the development and submission of funding applications;
- Manage funding award competitions;
- Identify, research and master information pertaining to various potential research opportunities available to researchers;
- Manage and assist in the preparation of institutional funding applications and reporting;
- Evaluate the effectiveness of research funding strategies and provide guidance on research funding programs and opportunities;
- Develop and manage research funding tracking database(s);
- Ensure that research applications comply with internal policies and procedures, and liaise with the Director of Finance to confirm that financial requirements are met;
- Identify, design and deliver outreach sessions which help improve funding applications preparation and writing;
- Initiate meetings with lead researchers of networks, large funding projects and first-time funding recipients to establish a close working relationship and to advise them of fiscal management strategies and long-term project goals;
- Facilitate collaborative research agreements between researchers, funding agencies and collaborating institutions, including tracking progress and trouble-shooting agreements in place;
- Prepare and analyze reports on research funding;
- · Maintain metrics for reports for various internal and external stakeholders.
- At least 5 years of experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Strong knowledge of research funding opportunities, eligibility criteria, approaches to funding challenges, budget management, and required elements of funding applications;
- Excellent demonstrated experience with drafting funding opportunities, as well as strong grammar, spelling, proof-reading and composition skills.
- Practical experience with recent developments in Canadian Research issues, effective oral and written communication capabilities, a commitment to customer service, and excellent presentation skills.
- Strong data analysis and report writing skills.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, creative problem-solving, and ethical management.
- The ability to achieve thoroughness and accuracy when completing tasks.
- Demonstrated experience and skill in negotiating with vendors, contractors, and others.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Research Community, NDRIO Staff and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Other relevant professional certifications are an asset.
- Multi-linguistic skills are an asset (English, French, Indigenous Peoples)
To apply, please send your resume and covering letter with the subject line Research Funding Lead to HR-RH@engagedri.ca. Please also supply a statement that details your salary expectations for the role.
NDRIO recognizes that challenges remain in achieving the full participation of equity-seeking groups (including women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority/racialized groups, and members of LGBTQ2+) in research careers and is committed to identifying and eliminating barriers that may exist within its own hiring process, programs, and practices.