Company: Digital Research Alliance of Canada (“The Alliance”)
Position Title: International Relations Intern (2 positions)
Reports to: Mark Leggott, Director, International Relations
Location: Remote, anywhere in Canada
Type: Full-time, paid internship (12-months)
ABOUT THE ALLIANCE
As a trusted and inclusive partner, the Digital Research Alliance of Canada (“the Alliance”) fosters pan-Canadian and global collaboration to provide researcher-centric, sustainable, and integrated digital research infrastructure. We have a passion to collaboratively support our brilliant research community as they ask questions, gain understanding, accelerate discovery, and transform how we live in our world. The Alliance collaborates and partners with stakeholders from across the research ecosystem to develop and coordinate expertise, platforms, services, technology, and training in the areas of research data management (RDM), advanced research computing (ARC) and research software (RS).
The Director, International Relations works with colleagues across the Alliance to engage with international organizations in various contexts and forms and is key to the Alliance’s (and by extension, Canada’s) success, and role as a leader in the DRI ecosystem. Strengthening and enlarging international partnerships positions, the Alliance is positioned in a leadership role on the global stage, but also facilitates the adoption of best practices on national, regional, and local scales. It also enables integration of both national and international processes and requirements facing researchers (e.g., data security, privacy, indigenous data sovereignty) into services offerings. In the same way that the Alliance can see substantial benefit from the international community, its own innovation over the coming years will inform and enhance best practices globally. International partnerships can be leveraged to enhance not only the Alliance’s services, but also funding and research partnerships.
Our Vision: To catalyze world-class Canadian research for the benefit of all.
Our Mission: As a trusted and inclusive partner, the Alliance fosters a Pan- Canadian and global collaboration to provide researcher-centric, sustainable and integrated digital research infrastructure.
Working with the Director, International Relations, the International Relations Interns will act on the Vision and Mission of the organization to maximize the impact of international activities by understanding the context of the Alliance in the broader stakeholder community. There will be 2 International Relations Intern positions to facilitate applications reflecting skillsets and interests that cross the Alliance’s primary mandates in RDM, RS, and ARC. Candidates with a background in one or more of these areas will be considered.
The International Relations Intern will be responsible for:
- Assisting with delivering on, and reporting on progress for the International Relations Roadmap as well as the appropriate Alliance Objectives and Initiatives;
- Providing research on international organizations and initiatives;
- Providing research on emerging DRI technologies and best practices;
- Assisting with organizing, preparing material, and developing outputs for events, committees and working groups;
- Socializing and promoting Alliance partnerships and outputs;
- Working with international Alliance stakeholders; and
Participating in the development of background documents, briefings, and other materials for the Alliance.
The position requires the following skills and academic requirements:
- A recent graduate from a M.L.I.S., data science, computer science, or a graduate degree in any discipline with experience in the development of DRI tools or services;
- Advanced research, writing and editing skills; knowledge of DRI issues and solutions;
- Experience with standard office software, and a variety of Internet tools;
- A detailed understanding of the research process and research lifecycle;
- Experience with indigenous data sovereignty/research; and
- Competence with both official languages would be desirable.
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter with the subject line International Relations Intern to Mark.Leggott@engagedri.ca.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview and asked at that time to supply names and contact information of two references who are knowledgeable about your work, at least one of whom is a current or recent direct supervisor.
The Alliance recognizes that challenges remain in achieving the full participation of equity-seeking groups (including women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority/racialized groups, and members of LGBTQ2+) in research careers and is committed to identifying and eliminating barriers that may exist within its own hiring process, programs, and practices.