Company: Digital Research Alliance of Canada
Position Title: French Translator/Editor/Writer
Location: Remote, anywhere in Canada
Type: Full Time
Salary Range: Interested candidates are asked to supply a statement that details salary expectations for the role.
The French Translator/Editor/Writer will be responsible for translating technical and non-technical documents from English into French, engaging in translation, writing, French-English comparative editing, proofreading, and providing terminology and lexicography service for the organization. This position will also provide leadership, professional advice and functional guidance for translation and participate in communications activities at the Digital Research Alliance of Canada. The French Translator/Editor/Writer is a member of the Communications & External Relations team and reports to the Director, Strategic Communications.
- Providing translation services from English to French, and more rarely from French to English, on documents encompassing guides, forms, articles, slide presentations, news releases and briefing notes touching upon all disciplines related to Digital Research Infrastructure (DRI).
- Providing comparative editing services to ensure that texts translated into French aptly render the intent and nuances of the English originals.
- Providing French editing and proofreading services to verify terminological accuracy and the quality of style, grammar and spelling.
- Providing linguistic terminological and lexicographical services for the organization and participating in terminological verification and standardization activities and answer requests for terminological information from internal staff and external stakeholders.
- Ability to seek specialized vocabulary from experts as required.
- Organizing translated material and finalizing translation according to set standards.
- Creating writing instructions, reference and maintenance manuals for management.
- Translating and editing slide presentations (PowerPoint or Google presentation) and web sites.
- May be required to work on a number of diverse projects simultaneously and is expected to meet deadlines on each to ensure accuracy and timeliness of assigned projects, effectiveness of special events and attention to detail.
- Degree from a recognized university in a field related to the French language (e.g. translation, linguistics, literature, etc.) and 5+ years of relevant experience or an equivalent combination of skills and experience.
- Previous experience in English-French translation in the non-profit, digital research infrastructure, government, technology and/or post-secondary education sectors.
- Ability to identify, analyze and solve linguistic challenges.
- Knowledge of translation tools, including CAT tools, terminology banks, etc. an asset.
- Certification with CTTC (Canadian Translators, Terminologists and Interpretors Council) or their provincial counterparts (ATIO or OTTIAQ) an asset.
- Superior translation skills in both written text and verbal communication skills, primarily from English to French. French to English an asset.
- Fully versed in a PC/Microsoft environment using various programs necessary in a translation and communications environment.
- Excellent knowledge and background in technical translation and technical writing in a broad range of disciplines.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing with a variety of audiences is an asset.
- Science and/or technical writing experience is a definite asset.
- Methodical and disciplined approach to work, attention to detail and quality focus.
- Proven planning, organizational and priority setting skills.
- Adaptive, flexible and capable of working effectively under stress.
- Capable of working effectively as part of a team and independently.
BENEFITS / WORK PERKS
In addition to a competitive salary and a rewarding career where you can truly make a difference in the Canadian research community, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that meets the various needs of our diverse team and that spans across Canada, including:
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including:
- Long-Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Mental Health Supports
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- Paid Vacation
- Remote Work – Flex Hours
To apply, please send your resume and covering letter with the subject line French Translator/Editor/Writer to HR-RH@engagedri.ca. Please also supply a statement that details your salary expectations for the role. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply not later than November 10th, 2021.
The Alliance recognizes that challenges remain in achieving the full participation of equity-seeking groups (including women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority/racialized groups, and members of LGBTQ2+) in research careers and is committed to identifying and eliminating barriers that may exist within its own hiring process, programs, and practices.