Company: New Digital Research Infrastructure Organization
Position Title: Director, Finance
Location: Remote, anywhere in Canada
Type: Full Time
Salary Range: Interested candidates are asked to supply a statement that details salary expectations for the role.
The New Digital Research Infrastructure Organization (NDRIO) is a national not-for-profit organization with the critical mandate of advancing the establishment of a researcher-focused, agile, strategic, and sustainable Digital Research Infrastructure (DRI) ecosystem for Canadian researchers.
Established in 2019, we are working with other DRI partners and stakeholders across the country to help provide Canadian academics and scholars the digital tools, services, and infrastructure they need to support leading-edge scientific excellence, research, innovation, and advancement across all disciplines.
Our mandate is critical to all of Canada’s academic researchers, our country’s ability to remain globally competitive, and our collective ability to benefit society as a whole.
Reporting directly to the Vice-President Corporate Services and CFO, the Director of Finance is responsible for the controllership and financial planning and analysis functions at NDRIO and has lead accountability for the organizations ERM system(s). The Director of Finance will have lead accountability for the development, implementation and monitoring of appropriate internal controls. The Director of Finance will play an integral role in ensuring that the organization is incompliance with all NDRIO’s financial policies.
- Manage the controllership function that includes accounts payable, accounts receivable, membership invoicing, payroll, general accounting, internal and external financial reporting, cash flow management. Through the ERP system, provide management with timing monthly financial reports and analysis.
- Prepare financial analysis and reports as required by the Contribution Agreement.
- Support the Vice-President Corporate Services and CFO is the preparation of materials for the Audit, Finance and Risk Committee and Investment Committee.
- In conjunction with the Vice – President – Corporate Services and CFO, manage NDRIO’s investments as authorized by the Investment Committee.
- Primary finance liaison to support and improve Corporate Services processes, i.e. On-going process improvement.
- Lead accountability for managing the annual external audit
Financial Planning and Analysis
- Lead the organization’s annual budget and forecasting processes.
- Support the Vice-President Corporate Services and CFO in the development of ISED Funding Proposals
- Provide financial analysis and support to the business /program areas.
- In conjunction with the Vice ‑President Corporate Services and CFO, develop, document and implement financial policies and procedures.
- Lead accountability to ensure compliance with financial policies including developing and providing educational opportunities to staff.
- Lead, motivate and develop the Finance team.
- Implement the ERM system that is selected as the best fit for NDRIO’s needs.
- Proactive collaboration with each of the departments in NDRIO to assist with financial planning and analysis as their department requires.
- Maintain confidentiality of financial information and investment decisions.
- Perform cross-functional and/or other duties consistent with the job classification, as assigned or requested.
- Minimum Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or a related field.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in both of Canada’s two official languages is preferred
- Significant, practical, and related experience required.
- Strong knowledge of Canadian GAAP.
- Strong ERM knowledge and experience
- Excellent interpersonal, project management, communication, writing and presentation skills.
- Experience identifying and analyzing emerging issues and developing strategic responses.
- Exceptional judgment and discretion with the ability to problem solve and generate action from ambiguity, and mediate complex situations with multiple stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to network and build effective working relationships with senior management, government officials, professional associations, peers, and others.
- Demonstrated experience developing and supporting a high performing team.
- Advanced experience with computer applications, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Research Community, NDRIO Staff and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Other relevant professional certifications are an asset.
- CPA designation in good standing is required.
To apply, please send your resume and covering letter with the subject line Director, Finance to HR-RH@engagedri.ca. Please also supply a statement that details your salary expectations for the role. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply not later than Friday, April 9th, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
NDRIO recognizes that challenges remain in achieving the full participation of equity-seeking groups (including women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority/racialized groups, and members of LGBTQ2+) in research careers and is committed to identifying and eliminating barriers that may exist within its own hiring process, programs, and practices.